We are building a culture of smart, empowered people who are focused on solving hard problems to create a better world. We believe our path to success is paved with candor, accountability, caring, and trust. We strive to live by five simple agreements with each other, our customers, and our partners.
TURNTIDE TECHNOLOGIES’ MISSION
Power is valuable and drives our civilization. Wasted power is pollution.
Our ultimate mission is to replace all electric motors with optimal motor systems so every watt is worthwhile for humanity.
To achieve our mission, we need to embrace a growth mindset and act consistently with our guiding values. This will enable us to solve problems as fast as possible while working as one coherent team.
Values are the unshakable pillars that guide us when it may seem unclear what the right action is as we forge our path. Turntide as an organization will be successful for the long term if we all embody these values in our individual behavior and choices every day.
- The more trust we build, the faster we can move.
- With our customers’ trust, we can deliver value to them faster and minimize validation steps.
- With our colleagues’ trust, we can work more seamlessly together.
- With our partners’ trust, we can deliver faster with higher quality.
- The opposite of trust is fear, remove reasons for fear and trust will fill the void.
BUILD TRUST BY:
- (Care) demonstrating that you care, (Confidentiality) keeping confidences,
- (Honesty) telling the truth,
- (Ability) committing to what you have the ability to do, Admitting mistakes, Asking for help,
- (Intention) telling the full why,
- (Reliability) doing what you say you’ll do/keeping your word.
* CHAIR is a courtesy of Sarah Singer-Nourie
COMMUNICATE OPENLY & PRECISELY
Value is created by teams, with each individual playing an important and interdependent role. Teamwork requires coordination enabled by fluid, precise sharing of information. We act candidly and consistently with our inner truths. Being open with information and ideas facilitates the “How” we help each other. We know “What” problems we are solving by using precise language.
CREATE SUSTAINABLE VALUE
We are not just seizing a temporary opportunity or aiming to beat competitors. It is fundamental that we create value in the world in a long term, sustainable way. We build and optimize for long-term mutual benefit with all our stakeholders.
REASON FROM FIRST PRINCIPLES
We live in reality and need to always be seeking the truth as our foundation. To do new things with confidence, we need to distill the most fundamental truths and reason up from there. Looking to what others have done or what worked in the past can be helpful for inspiration, but our only reliable bedrock is drilling down to the first principles.
A company is made of people, evolving, with all the benefits and design flaws that come with being human. We hold each other to a high bar, and recognize our authentic human traits that make us who we are; our abilities, our strengths, our challenges. Compassion and relationship building are key to this, strengthening social connections that enable people to fully engage and push in a sustainable way.
Talk to People, not about People (handle upsets directly ASAP)
Long term relationships:
- We’re in it for the long term with our customers
- The long term happens one value-added step at a time
- Gossip damages relationships; directness creates trust
Create Psychological Safety for Others
- Solving HARD problems is HARD
- Getting it right is better than being right
- Creating space to grow and learn is critical
Start with Why
- We seek the truth in everything, we don’t avoid reality
- Start with “why?” to help others see the deeper context
- State the trade off
Practice Radical Candor
- Seek the truth in everything, don’t avoid reality
- Challenge directly + care personally
- Failing to give feedback is a disservice to others
Play Above the Line
- Response-ability – own it and set the tone for the group
- Failure starts when we blame others
- Feeling like a victim is the first step towards powerlessness